Pages

Friday, May 29, 2009

THE SIXTEEN STATES OF MAINE SONG

One of my weekly web surfing stops is Roxanne Moore
Saucier's "Family Ties" column at the Bangor Daily News
website. Roxanne is an experienced genealogist and I
enjoy reading her articles about different aspects of
both genealogy and life in Maine.

Recently she wrote about how she learned the names of all
sixteen counties in Maine by being taught a song set to the
tune of "Yankee Doodle":

The 16 counties in our state

Are Cumberland and Franklin,

Piscataquis and Kennebec,

Oxford and Androscoggin.

Waldo, Washington and York,

Lincoln, Knox and Hancock.

Sagadahoc and Somerset,

Aroostook and Penobscot!"




Great, right? She also gives another variation of the song
the lyrics to the "State of Maine Song". Check out this column here.

You can also search some of her past "Family Ties"
writing by clicking on the "Lifestyle" drop menu. Trust me, you'll enjoy it.

1 comment:

Centers and Squares said...

I just love this! Anything to keep things in my head helps nowadays. I'm going to pass it along to my Dad - he spent summers at a farm in Maine and will get a real kick out of it.

Liz