Pages

Friday, September 12, 2008

ON MY BOOKSHELF

The 56th edition of the Carnival of Genealogy is
"Ten Essential Books in My Genealogy Library". Eight of my
ten books are here in my apartment, the other two are online
at Google Books. I've included a comment on the significance
of each book.




The New Testament of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ
New York City, New York: American Bible Society, 1859

(The West Family Bible with family records of births, deaths and
marriages. )


The History of Wilsons Mills and the Magalloway Settlements
Wilsons Mills, Me.: The Town of Wilsons Mills, Maine 1975.

(The source of my Uncle Clarence's memoirs of the Azicohos Dam,
this book includes photos and short entries on my ancestors as
well as the other families of the area.)


Abbot, Abiel and Abbot, Ephraim. A Genealogical Register of the
Descendants of George Abbot, of Andover: George Abbot,
of Rowley; Thomas Abbot, of Andover; Arthur Abbot, of
Ipswich; Robert Abbot, of Branford, Ct.--and George Abbot, of
Norwalk, Ct. Boston, Massachusetts: James Munroe & Company,
1847 (online here at Google Books)

(I've used this a lot in researching my Abbot ancestors)


Abbot, Elinor, Our Company Increases Apace: History, Language, and
Social Identity in Early Colonial Andover, Massachusetts.
Dallas, Texas: SIL International, 2007

(I'm still reading this book, recommended to me by Tim Abbot. More insight
into the town where my Abbot and Barker ancestors lived.)

Butler, Caleb History of the Town of Groton: Including Pepperell and
Shirley, from the First Grant of Groton Plantation in 1655
Boston, Massachusetts: Press of T.R. Marvin, 1848 (online
here at Google Books)

(Another online edition which has been the source of much information
on the Ames and Prescott families, among others.)


Lindsay, David Mayflower Bastard: A Stranger Among the Pilgrims
New York City, New York: St Martin Press, 2004

(While the book is a biography of Richard More, there are many references
to my ancestor Isaac Allerton.)


Mills, Elizabeth Shown, Evidence!: Citation & Analysis for the Family
Historian. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing
Company, 2007

(Well, I hope this list shows why it's essential!)

Morgan, George, The Official Guide to Ancestry.com. Provo, Utah:
Ancestry Publishing, 2007
(A great help in navigating the Ancestry site.)


Philbrick, Nathaniel Mayflower: A Story of Courage, Community, and War
New York City, New York: Viking, 2006

(I learned a lot about King Philip's War from this book. A good read!)


Vrabel, Jim, When In Boston: A Time Line & Almanac Boston,
Massachusetts: Northeastern University Press, 2004

(What went on in Boston influenced all of New England. This gives
me an idea of what news my ancestors might have been discussing over
dinner.)

So there it is, but like most lists, it's a fluid thing and I work in a bookstore,
after all. There's always some new book that grabs my attention that might
knock a book off the list and take it's place!

No comments: