Pages

Wednesday, February 02, 2011

MEMORY IN THE KITCHEN DRAWER

Writing about how my folks met reminded me about the oldest piece of
cutlery in my kitchen drawer:


I mentioned that my parents met each other through a blind date that my Mom's
cousin Nancy set up. She was going out with a guy named Bob at the time. When
I was born my folks asked Nancy to be my godmother, and as a christening gift
they gave me a little silverware set. The spoon and fork are long gone, but I still
have the knife.

The handle of the knife is engraved. One one side are the names "Nancy And Bob":
On the other side are my initials  "W.W." :
62 years later it sits in my cutlery tray in the kitchen drawer. Occasionally I may
inadvertently grab it and use it to butter something. It's not worth a great deal of
money, but it's a reminder of why and how I came to be here. 

4 comments:

Michelle Goodrum said...

What an awesome treasure!

Judy said...

Amazing how small things can hold so much memory. Did Nancy and Bob marry?

Bill West said...

Judy- No. Bob died suddenly before they were married. Nancy eventually met and married a great guy named Richie and they had a large family together.

Julie Goucher said...

What a lovely item to still have. I have my very first set of cutlery, it sits in my kitchen drawer too! although it is not as grand as yours it is still treasured.