Friday, December 10, 2010
ANCESTOR APPROVED AWARD
This past week I was honored with the Ancestor Approved Award
by Susan Petersen of Long Lost Relatives.net and Debbie of
Mascot Manor Genealogy . Thank you both!
I was also given this award back in April by six other folks but at
that time I was recovering from my last hospital adventure and in
the midst of the move from the old hobbit hole to my present
apartment so other than expressing my thanks to them I wasn't
able to fulfill the conditions of the award but now I can do so.
As a recipient of this award, I am to list 10 things I have learned about
my ancestors that have surprised, humbled or enlightened me and
then pass the award on to 10 other genealogy bloggers who I feel
are doing their ancestors proud. So here is my list of 10 things and
my list of 10 other bloggers.
1. I was surprised by learning about my Grandfather West’s part in caring
for soldiers stricken with the Spanish Influenza at Fort Devens during
2. I was surprised by how much I've been able to find about
many of my ancestors on GoogleBooks, especially through the Essex
County Court Records. As I've noted before, some of them were
a contentious lot!
3. I was humbled to realize my ancestors faced so many obstacles and
tragedies and still endured.
4. I'm constantly enlightened on New England history by my research
into my family history.
5. I've been surprised and frustrated at how elusive some ancestors can
6. I was surprised to find that so many of my ancestors were involved in
the conflicts with the Native Americans in the earliest days of Maine and
7. I was surprised to find distant relatives buried so close to my parents.
8. I was enlightened by Aunt Dot's memories of growing up in MaIne
with my Dad in the 1930's.
9. I was surprised to learn of my ancestor Jonathan Barker's family
problems and burial in an unmarked grave.
10. I am constantly humbled by how much more there is to discover
about my family's history.
Cheryl at Have You Seen My Roots?
Caroline at Family Tree Gal
Becky at My Genealogy Pondering
Kristin at My Cleages And Reeds
Will at Will's Genealogy Blog
Janine at Genealogy: Our Astounding Past
Heather at Nutfield Genealogy
Harriet at Genealogy Fun
Alanna at Confessions of a Gene-a-holic
Marian at Roots and Rambles