Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

HILLSIDE CEMETERY, ABINGTON, MARCH 13TH

Sunday was a nice sunny day and the snow around here is nearly gone,
so after a round of cleaning house in the morning, I grabbed my camera
and headed for two nearby cemeteries I hadn't visited as yet. One was the
Silver Lake Cemetery over in Rockland, the next town over to the east
of Abington; the other was the Hillside Cemetery over on the western
side of town on Route 139. I'll blog about Silver Lake over on my The
Old Colony Graveyard Rabbit later.



I wanted to visit the Hillside Cemetery because it's the oldest cemetery
in town and I suspected I'd find the grave of my distant cousin Captain
Cornelius there. It's a very small cemetery situated on a very busy road
with no off street parking so getting in and out of the car requires care.
The graves are on a small hill and vary in age from the 18th to the 20th
century. Some of the headstones are obscured by bushes and plants that
surround them:.




I found Captain Cornelius Dunham's grave and some of his family  immediately
after entering through the left hand gate. They date from the late 18th and early 19th
century and the markers are weathered, and the inscriptions hard to read. One grave
which I think is the Captain 's is covered with gravel. I don't know why this would
be done. Perhaps more experienced graveyard rabbits might know the answer?

As you can see, it's going to take a little work to decipher those inscriptions!
 

No comments: