Pages

Monday, August 03, 2009

BABY 'S PHOTO ON A FAMILY BLOG USED IN AN ADOPTION SCAM

One day last week my sister sent me some great photos taken when she and her
husband took her grandson to a local zoo. He's started walking and there was one
shot in particular of him walking past a chain link fence that I wanted to post here
and show everyone how cute my grandnephew is. I needed to wait until today because
his parents had gone away for the weekend and I wanted to get their permission first
before posting it.

Then I heard this story on the radio this morning about a family right here in Abington
who discovered that a picture of their infant son they'd posted on their family blog was
being used in an adoption scam on Craig's List. An anonymous e-mailer had tipped them
off about it.

I have a few thoughts on this. The first is, why doesn't Craig's List police their site
better?

The second is, I won't be posting any pictures of my grandnephew here for the foreseeable
future, at least not for several years.

Like maybe twenty.

Read the story here.

1 comment:

Family Curator said...

Hi Bill,

This is a scary story for families. As a new grandparent I've been torn between sharing the news and keeping a low profile. The adoption scam is only one example of photo hijacking. I wrote about it recently at The Family Curator http://tinyurl.com/yd2oogw
and http://tinyurl.com/ye66e7x

I'm glad to hear I'm not alone in holding back a bit.

And congrats on the FT40 note! Well deserved.