Pages

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

SHAKING LEAVES LEAVE ME SHAKING MY HEAD....IN A GOOD WAY

I currently have two family trees on Ancestry.com, one for my family
and one for my brother in law Peter's. The other day I got one of
those hint emails for Pete's tree and I checked it out.There were three
hints from the Sons of the American Revolution Membership Applications, 
1889-1970 and one was for Pete's ancestor Lewis Studley. When I
clicked the link to the Ancestry Hints page I noticed there were
several other family trees for Lewis. I clicked on those and right
away one of the trees got my attention. The family name was
the same as one of my old college classmates, and a closer look
showed me that he was the owner of the tree.


So now I had to really investigate this!  I looked at Ed's tree
and it turns out that he and Pete are both descended from
Lewis Studley and Lucy Dunbar through their daughter
Joanna who married Levi Newcomb of Provincetown and
Scituate Ma. Pete's descended from Henry Cook Newcomb 
and Ed from William James Newcomb.

After I plugged the names into Pete's tree and checked the
records it turns out that Peter & Ed are 4th cousins 1x
removed. They've never met and each weren't aware of
the other.A final coincidence is that my sister Cheryl and
Ed both worked in the same school system albeit at different
schools.

Talk about a small world!
t

3 comments:

Elizabeth O'Neal said...

You just have all the luck, dontcha, Bill! ;-)

The New Genealogist said...

Wow, neat!

Anonymous said...

That was a neat story, Bill. I keep thinking that will happen to me ... but it doesn't!!