Pages

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

CIVIL WAR GENEALOGY BLOG CHALLENGE REMINDER

We're getting closer to April 12th, 2011, the  150th anniversary of the start
of the Civil War at Ft.Sumter.I'd like to remind everyone of the Civil War
Genealogy Blog Challenge I issued back in February:

Did you have ancestors in America on 12Apr 1861? If so, where were they
and what were their circumstances? How did the Civil War affect them and
their family? Did the men enlist and did they perish in battle or die of illness?
On which side did they fight, or did you have relatives fighting on BOTH sides?
How did the women left at home cope, or did any of them find ways to help
the war effort? Were your ancestors living as slaves on Southern plantations
and if so when were they freed?  Or were they freemen of color who enlisted
to fight?


If your ancestors had not emigrated to America as yet, what was their life
like around the time of the Civil War?


The 150 year celebration of the Civil War is a great source for those of us
blogging about our family history. So, let's do a little research over the coming
weeks between now and April 12th. Find out the answers to the questions
I asked and write about them. Or if you think of another topic to do with your
family history and the Civil War, write about that. Send me the link when you
publish it on your blog, and on April 12th I'll publish all the links here.

There's about two and a half weeks left, so start writing! I'm looking forward
to some great stories!

7 comments:

Thomas MacEntee said...

Thanks for the reminder Bill! I've placed this on the GeneaBloggers calendar and I've also included it in the Q2 2011 editorial calendar that will come out later this week!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea, Bill!

I've got two posts up already about two of my direct ancestors who served in the Civil War - one whose grave I only just found last fall.

Here are those links:
James Alexander Meek (my 2 gr granddad) - http://dee-burris.livejournal.com/38190.html

And Nathaniel C Callaway (my 3gr granddad) - http://dee-burris.livejournal.com/51954.html

Dee at Shakin' the Family Tree

Karen Packard Rhodes said...

I have always been a bit nettled that my birthday is also:

The start of the Civil War
The day Franklin D. Roosevelt died
The day the Russians put the first man into space

Sigh.

Martin said...

I no longer blog, but you should see whose ancestor enlisted first. I have a July 1861 enlistee and a December 1861 enlistee (a third great and second great grandfather respectively, both Union).

Heather Wilkinson Rojo said...

I have a post I put up last week at this link http://nutfieldgenealogy.blogspot.com/2011/03/manuel-francisco-ciriaco-fenollosa-del.html about the Civil War's 54th Mass. Regiment of colored volunteers.

Frances Elizabeth Schwab said...

I just did my Civil War post this morning:

http://fantastic-electrisoil.blogspot.com/2011/04/civil-war-ancestors-one-young-one.html

Susan Clark said...

Here's my post Bill. It's an overview, listing all who fought. I plan to post on each of them over the next four years. Thanks for inspiring this new project!

http://nolichuckyroots.blogspot.com/2011/04/civil-war-saturdays-war-brought-home.html