Pages

Thursday, April 17, 2008

IS THAT A POEM I SEE IN YOUR POCKET?

Lisa has challenged her fellow geneabloggers
to post a poem in observance of National
Poet in Your Pocket Day.

I took a course in English Romantic Poetry in
college and this one by William Wordsworth was
my favorite. I used to be able to recite it
or most of it.

The world is too much with us; late and soon
by William Wordsworth:


The world is too much with us; late and soon,
Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers:
Little we see in Nature that is ours;
We have given our hearts away, a sordid boon!
The Sea that bares her bosom to the moon;
The winds that will be howling at all hours,
And are up-gathered now like sleeping flowers;
For this, for everything, we are out of tune;
It moves us not.--Great God! I'd rather be
A Pagan suckled in a creed outworn;
So might I, standing on this pleasant lea,
Have glimpses that would make me less forlorn;
Have sight of Proteus rising from the sea;
Or hear old Triton blow his wreathed horn.

-1806

5 comments:

Thomas MacEntee said...

LOL! I originally had that as the title of my just-written post. But I couldn't come up with the punchline.

TK said...

It may be 202 years old, but it's new for me, Bill, and I love it! Thanks for sharing!

Miriam Robbins said...

These words are as true now as they were in 1806.

Thanks for sharing this, Bill!

Bill West said...

Glad you all enjoyed it!

Thomas, Donna over at What's Past is
Prologue actually beat me to using
a version of the title on her post
by about 8 hours. Darn. LOL!

Anonymous said...

Bill,

Great minds think alike! It was too good to pass up...

I like your choice of poem!

Donna