Pages

Monday, September 02, 2019

SOME NEW GERMAN FAMILY DISCOVERIES PT2



German genealogy is a whole new ball game for me. I've been pretty lucky with my Dad's  New England colonial ancestors. There's plenty of records and documents available on line, and even if the handwriting is hard to decipher on some, at least I can figure most of it out. But my German ancestors were...well... German, so that's what language the place names are in. And the documents so far are behind paywalls which I can't  afford right now.

So what I have found so far are mostly record transcriptions on the FamilySearch records site. I knew that my 2x great grandfather Charles (Karl) Offinger was born in Wurttemberg, Germany around 1848, and that his parents names were Jacob and Christiana. Using that information as a starting point on the FamilySearch records page, I found:

- A birthdate in a baptismal record for Karl Jacob Offinger of 17Dec 1848, son of Jacob Ruland Offinger and  Regine Christiane Friederike Kaufmann. He was baptized at Evangelisch, Aalen, Jagskreis, Wurttemberg. The recod is in the Germany Births and Baptisms, 1558-1898 collection

--A birthdate in a baptimal record for Jacob Ruland Offinger of 7Jan 1821, son of Caspar Offinger and Rosine Catherine Landgraf. He was baptized on 10Jan 1821 at Evangelisch, Aalen, Jagskreis, Wurttemberg. The record is in the Germany Births and Baptisms, 1558-1898 collection.

-A marriage record for Jacob Ruland Offinger and  Regine Christiane Friederike Kaufmann. It took place on 5May 1848 at Evangelisch, Aalen, Jagskreis, Wurttemberg. Rosine Catherine's parents are given as Alois Kaufmann and Anna Maria Brucker. The record is in the Germany Marriages, 1558-1929 collections.

That is as far as I've been able to get with the Offinger line.

I'll discuss the Luicks in the next post.

1 comment:

Celia Lewis said...

You're doing so well with your new-to-you German ancestors! Mine unfortunately came to Pennsylvania approximately 1740, with a common surname [Kuhn], also from the Wurttemburg region, as far as we can tell. Catholic, so I keep hoping I'll eventually find more info. It's been fun seeing the successes you're having here.