Pages

Thursday, August 29, 2019

SOME NEW GERMAN FAMILY DISCOVERIES PT1

I've had a lot of luck researching my Dad's New England roots, but not so much with Mom's irish and German ancestry. However, I've had some breakthroughs on the German side of her family. Here's what I already knew about them.

My Mom's paternal grandmother's maiden name was Pauline Offinger. In the Massachusetts Marriages 1695-1910 collection at  FamilySearch I learned that Pauline was born in Cambridge, that her father was Charles Offinger and her mother was "Johanna C.".

Also from FamilySearch I learned Charles was Karl J. Offinger, born in Wurtemburg, Germany in 1848 to Jacob Offinger and his wife Christiana. Johanna was Johanna C. Luick, daughter of Christian Luick and his wife Christina. She also was born in Wurtemburg but four years earlier than Charles. I found records of the births of their children in the Massachusetts Births and Christenings 1639-1915 collection, and records of their deaths and  the deaths of two of their sons, Frederick and William, in the Massachusetts Deaths and Burials 1695-1910. Three children lived to be married : Albert, Julia, and great grandmother Pauline.

Next I went over to Ancestry.com.On the New York Passenger Lists 1820-1957 I found the image of the passenger list for the ship Deutschland showing that Charles and Johanna arrived in New York City from Bremen on 13Jun 1870. I found the census records for 1870,1880 and 1900 for them and also the census records for their children Julia and Albert. Then I found entries for them in the City Directories.

But I kNew very little about the parents and families of Karl Offinger and Johanna Luick before they came to America, That changed this past weekend.

To be continued...

No comments: