Pages

Monday, September 25, 2017

52 ANCESTORS IN 52 WEEKS 2017 WEEK 35: CHRISTOPHER OSGOOD OF IPSWICH MA. PT 2

I found the images of a transcription of Christopher Osgood's will over at AmericanAncestors.org. It places some conditions on the money he left his daughters as regards to their marriages, And  a week after it was filed his widow Margery petitioned the court to be given a larger part of the estate than Christopher had left her, which lessened the amounts given the daughters.:



Essex County, MA: Early Probate Records, 1635-1681.Online database. AmericanAncestors.org. New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2015.
https://www.americanancestors.org/DB1652/i/33911/121/891370314

Essex County, MA: Early Probate Records, 1635-1681.Online database. AmericanAncestors.org. New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2015.
https://www.americanancestors.org/DB1652/i/33911/122/56272178


I  Christopher Osgood of Ipswich being weake in body but of perfect understandinge & memory
doe Comitt my soule into the hands of my redeemer, & Concerning that little Estate the Lord
hath lent mee this is my last will & testament, first I give unto my eldest daughter Mary Osgood
to be paid her or her asignes on the day of her marriage, and to my other three Daughters Abigal
Elisabeth & Deborah, five pounds to each of them to be paid to them and every them at or upon
their respective dayes of marriage. And to my Sonne Christopher Osgood I doe give my house and
lands to have & enjoy the same at the age of two & twentie yeares, And my will is that my beloved
wife Margery Osgood shalbe the sole executrix of this my will & to enjoy the pffit & benefitt of my
estate duringe the minority of my Children as abovesaid. And lastlyI doe request & desire Mr
John Norton & my father Phillip fflower to be overseers that this my will be performed according
to the true intent thereof. in witness heereof I have subscribed my hand the nineteenth day of Aprill 1650.

I doe also desire our respected Major to a Joyne with Mr Norton & my ffather.
Christopher Osgood
Witness Nathaneel Mather,  Joseph Rowlandson, Daniell Rolfe.

memorandum which was forgooten m will is that my eldest Daughter marry not without the advice of my wife & the Consent of my overseers,  & that my younger Daughters marry not without the Consent of their mother & the advice of the overseers if it may be had, and that their severall portions be paid unto them when they shall attaine the age of twenty yeares if they be not marryed before that age.
Christopher Osgood
Proved 10:8:1650, by Daniell Rolfe. Copy of will, Ipswich Deeds, vol.1, leaf 76.

Petitition of Margery Osgood, widow, of Ipswich for a greater portion of the estate of her husband,  than by will is given  her. Oct. 16, 1650, ordered that the business concerning the estate be referred to Mr.Samuel Symonds, Maj Denison and Mr. John Norton, and to put an issure there-
unto, keeping as near to the willas may be. Mass. Bay Colony Records, vol 3, page 217.

Samuel Symonds, John Norton, and Daniel Denison having considered the case, make the following alterations in the will: the eldest daughter instead of 10l. mentioned in the will, to have 8li.;the second daughter instead of 5li., to have 4li.; the eldest son to have the house and  land and pay the two younger when they shall be eighteen years, 4li. each. Ipswich Deeds vol.1, leaf 104.



No comments: