Pages

Sunday, July 07, 2013

MY LAST WORD ON OLD SEARCH VS NEW SEARCH

It's been a week since I posted my thoughts on the end of Old Search at Ancestry.com.
I wasn't the only one to post my dismay on this development, and there was quite a lively
in the online genealogical community, by people far more coherent about the advantages
and disadvantages of both search engines. It was quite interesting except for what I felt
was an unfortunate tendency by some to label those of us who prefer Old Search as
whiners and complainers who have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the next stage
of genealogy technology. That really bothered me since many of those who dislike New
Search have been pursuing genealogy far longer than I are people I respect.

I, of course, am a fuddyduddy.

Heather Wilkinson Rojo has a roundup of blogposts about this on her Nutfield
Genealogy in her Flash Blog Mob post.

I posted the following on the Ancestry.com Message Board discussion of the topic
:
"I tried New Search and I didn't like the results I got and I didn't enjoy the New Search 
experience.It's not as easy to use for me as Old Search. When I no longer have the 
choice to use my preference of Old Search and if I am still as frustrated by New Search 
as I have been before, I will unsubscribe from Ancestry and remove my two trees from 
the site. I'll hate doing it but if I'm paying money for something I don't enjoy, there's no 
point to continuing at Ancestry."

And that's my last word on the subject.

.



1 comment:

nuccia said...

Well said! I couldn't agree more - if you are paying for it then you should have the choice.