Pages

Friday, February 08, 2013

THE HASTINGS PENSION FILE PT4


Many of the settlers of Oxford county in Western Maine were veterans of
the Revolution who had originally come from towns in northern Essex
county in Massachusetts such as Andover, Methuen, and Haverhill. So it
was not surprising that thney had encountered or even served together to
some degree or another during that war.

I've mentioned before that my 4x great granduncle Benjamin Barker turns
up as a witness in many Pension Request Files. By the time Betsey Hastings
was seeking her widow's pension Benjamin was eighty-three years old
but still in possession  of a good memory. He testified twice about Amos
Hastings' service. The first was the longer of the two: 



"I Benjamin Barker of Rumford in the County of
Oxford and State of Maine aged eighty three years do
testify and say that I was personally acquainted
with Amos Hastings who was a private in the army of
the Revolutionary War, that he belonged to the Com
pany of Captain Timothy Eaton- and Colonel Gerrishes
Regiment. I further testify and say that said Amos
Hastings was in the year seventy five in the eight
Months Service in Captain Cogswell's Company-and
that he served his time out in said Company-belong
ing to Col. Fryes' Regiment being the same Regiment
to which I belonged. That I further testify and say
that said Amos done eight months service in
said Captain Eaton's Company and Gerrish's Regiment
in the year seventeen hundred and seventy seven
and that he was at the taking of Burgoyne's army.
And I further say that I have been personally
acquainted with said Amos since the Revolution
ary War- and continued to live within seven
miles until his death which was was in eighteen
hundred and thirty one.
Benj. Barker

State of Maine
Oxford County SS  October 24th 1838
Then the above named Benjamin
Barker who is a respectable person and entitled to credit
and made oath to the truth of the above affidavit
by him subscribed in my presence.
Peter Virgin Justice of the Peace."


The second statement had some other new pieces of
information. It was made seven months after the first statement:




"I Benjamin Barker of Rumford in the County of
Oxford  and State of Maine aged eighty three years do
testify and say that I was personally acquainted
with Amos Hastings late of Bethel in said County of
Oxford deceased,  at Winter Hill and on Bunker Hill as a Soldier
in the army of the Revolutionary War in Captain
Eaton's Company-and Col. Gerish Regiment- and
he then served seven months. I again say that I
was knowing the said Amos was at the taking
of Burgoyne- and at Ticonderoga- and that he then
served eight months in Captain Cogswell's Com
pany as I believe
Benja Barker

State of Maine
Oxford County SS April 27, 1839. Then personally app
eared the above named Benja Barker who is a person
entitled to credit and made oath to the truth of the above
affidavit signed in my presence.

Peter  C Virgin Justice of the Peace "


Despite Benjamin's two affidavits Betsey Hastings did not
receive her widow benefits and the struggle continued.

No comments: