Pages

Monday, July 25, 2011

SATURDAY NIGHT GENEALOGY FUN: "WHERE I'M FROM"

This week's Saturday Night Genealogy Fun from Randy Seaver has us
waxing poetic, Here's the challenge:

1)  Write a poem about "Where I'm From" using the template found at the website
http://www.swva.net/fred1st/wif.htm
2)  Tell us about it in a blog post of your own, in a comment to this blog post,
or in a Google Plus or Facebook note.

So, for better or verse, here's mine:

I am from Fluffernutter sandwiches with Marshmallow Fluff and peanutbutter,
from jimmies and tonic and frappes.


I am from ranch houses and triple deckers with hot cement steps on a
Summer's day.


I am from the pine trees, and cardinals bright red against the snow.


I am from mountains  and seashores, from Bud and Anne, from Wests & Whites,
McFarlands & Barkers & Offingers


I am from hardworking Yankees,  funloving Irish, and silent Germans.


From  Back Street Maine and busy Boston.


I am from Protestant stock and from Roman Catholics who roamed.


I'm from Massachusetts , pot roast and Boston Baked beans.


From  John Cutter West who farmed and raised a family in Western Maine,
and from John McFarland who crossed the seas from Ireland to raise his
family in Boston as a laborer.
.
I'm from Plymouth and Boston, from Maine and New Hampshire, from
blood that runs back to the Mayflower and over the sea to Europe.


I am a New Englander, with my roots sunk deep into this place . 

Thanks Randy for an interesting challenge.

4 comments:

Heather Wilkinson Rojo said...

Very nice, Bill! I missed out on this Saturday night challenge, but you did very well. I'm going to peruse the internet for everyone else's entries now.

Debra Newton-Carter said...

Reading your poem reminded me of all the great New England things we left behind in Western MA when we moved to Western NC 4 1/2 years ago...

Down here they do have a couple "Boston" items I had never heard of in Boston...Boston Butt...and Boston Iced Tea. Seems that Boston Butt is a half-shank of pork, and Boston Iced Tea has cranberry juice in it. Hmmm

Thanks for the memories!

Linda Robbins said...

I enjoyed reading your poem "I Am From". It gave me a real sense of your coming from New England and being a true "Noreasterner".

Julie said...

Very nice!!