Pages

Sunday, April 19, 2009

SATURDAY NIGHT GENEALOGICAL FUN-POETRY AND GENEALOGY

Alright, I'm a little late for Randy Seaver's Saturday Night
Genealogical Fun
challenge over at Genea-musings, but it's hard to
rhyme after midnight. So here's my genealogical poem, for what it's
worth:

A Genealogical Truth

Increasingly of late I find
My family tree is on my mind.

At night when I am seeking sleep
I do not try to count some sheep.
Other thoughts are in my head:
I think of ancestors instead.

And when I used to take the train
And stood there in the snow or rain,
I did not rant, I did not curse,
But listed ancestors in reverse.

I wonder what might have been their views
When they discussed the latest news.
Were they happy or were they sad?
Were they content with what they had?

They lived and loved, they laughed and cried
And in the course of time they died.
There's one thing that's a certainty:
If not for them, there'd be no me

Increasingly of late I find
My family tree is on my mind.

5 comments:

Patti said...

Very good, Bill!

Bill West said...

Thanks, Patti!

Lori E said...

Thanks for visiting my site Bill. I think you did a great job on the poem and your ancestors are all applauding you. I always have my breakthrough moments in the middle of the night when sleep eludes me.

Sheri Fenley said...

Bravo! The best one I have read by far. You have put into a few well written verses exactly what I feel when doing research!

Diana Ritchie said...

A little late but well worth waiting for! Thanks for putting into verse how many of us, I'm sure, feel.