Pages

Friday, June 06, 2008

SPEAK LIKE A NATIVE NEW ENGLANDER 6

In honor of Lori Thornton of Smoky Mountain Family
Historian
who's up this way attending a conference and doing
some genealogy research as well, we will discuss the correct
pronunciation of the city of Quincy, where Lori's conference
is being held.

I'm told some folks in other parts of the country pronounce it
"Kwin-see"(perhaps in Quincy, Illinois?). But around here,
it's commonly spoken as "Kwin-zee".

Lori's been enjoying the restaurants and cuisine of New
England. Hopefully she'll have a chance to sample some
"steamahs" or "chowdah" on her visit to "Kwin-zee"!

2 comments:

Lori Thornton said...

Thanks, Bill. Of course, I visited Quincy in 2006 when I was up here for FGS because they wanted my opinion on hosting the conference there. I guess I've known the correct pronunciation for awhile now. What's really scary is that I catch myself using the New England pronunciations of everything ending with that r that sounds like "ah" now. I think I've been around too many Bostonians!

Lisa / Smallest Leaf said...

Quincy (kwin-zee) figures prominently on one branch of my family tree. Glad to see that it got a mention in your "Speak Like a Native New Englander" series, Bill.

Keep the lessons coming!

Lisa
Small-leaved Shamrock
A light that shines again
100 Years in America