Pages

Monday, December 16, 2019

DIPPING INTO THE MYHERITAGE DNA POOL

Last week the MyHeritage website had a free  offer involving DNA test results. You could upload your results from another DNA site to MyHeritage to see what their analysis might discover. So I took advantage of it. I had already downloaded my Ancestry test raw data some time ago, and it only took about a half hour to upload it now to MyHeritage. They said it would take about 5 days before the results would be available.

It only took 4.

When I went to the website to view the results, I had a surprise. My MyHeritage Ethnicity Estimate differed a bit from that of Ancestry.

Here's my latest Ancestry estimate from a few weeks ago:






And here's the MyHeritage estimate:








The big difference is the increase in the Iberian percentage, the downsizing of the English and Celtic ethnicities, and the disappearance of Germanic Europe. My Mom's paternal ancestors were German. But these are, after all, estimates, and things may change with the next estimate from MyHeritage.

As for the MyHeritage DNA page, it is not as user friendly as Ancestry's and I find the colors used for headings and categories too light and difficult to read. However, I like how the names of shared names on family trres are right there under the names of the shared matches.

I'll have more to say about all this after I've explored the results and website further.

No comments: