Pages

Friday, May 31, 2019

52 ANCESTORS IN 52 WEEKS 2019 WEEK 22: JOHN WHIPPLE OF IPSWICH, MA.

I haven't found much yet about my 8x great grandfather John Whipple. Part of the problem is that he was at least one of three men in living in Ipswich at the time who were named John Whipple, the others being his uncle and the other his cousin. Elder John Whipple and his son  Captain John Whipple were prominent in town affairs and overshadowed my ancestor. So this is what I've found so far:

It's believed Lt. John Whipple was born around 1632. He was in the colonial militia during the Indian wars and had the rank of Lieutenant, seving at the same time as his cousin Capt. John Whipple. He was married three times. His first wife was Sarah Kent, who died in 1658. He then married Elizabeth Woodman in Ipswich on 5May 1659. Finally, on 21Jul 1663, he married Mary Stevens. I am decended from John and Mary Wipple's son Matthew.

John died on 22Nov 1695 and his will was submitted the following month. I've found the images on the AmericanAncestors.org and it's fourteen pages long. The writing is on both sides of each page in the document and has leaked through so I'm having difficulty deciphering the text.

No comments: