Pages

Saturday, May 25, 2019

52 ANCESTORS IN 52 WEEKS 2019 WEEK 21: MATTHEW WHIPPLE OF IPSWICH, MA.

The line I have for the ancestors of my 6x great grandmother Dorothy(Whipple)Perkins is confusing because of that old genealogy bugaboo, too many peoplewith the same name living in the same place at the same time. In this case it's the plethora of Whipples named John or Matthew. I think I have it figured out but it could change.

Dorothy Whipple's immigrant ancestor was Matthew Whipple who arrived in the Massachusetts Bay Colony with his wife Anne and his brother John. They settled in Ipswich where they became leading citixens. John is known as "Elder John" Whipple in the town histories. Matthew doesn't receive much mention, and the longest mention I've found of him is in this pamphlet created in 1891 by the G.A.R. for a ceremony at a New Hampshire school:

"Matthew Whipple settled early in Ipswich Hamlet: (Land was granted to him in 1638. His house was sold July 10, 1647, to John Annable, tailor.—J. B. Felt.) His will, dated 3m. 7d., 1645 [ of which an abstract is printed in the "Antiquarian Papers," Ipswich, Mas?., April 1884], is on record at the Register of Deeds for the county of Essex, in which be mentions his eldest son, John, sons Matthew and Joseph, and daughters [Mary — see abstract] Anna and Elizabeth. He leaves to his eldest, John, one half of his estate; the other half to his two youngest sons Matthew and Joseph. He left wife Rose (Chute?), whom he married (Nov. 13, 1646 ?). His children were bv a former wife. He died September 8, 1647."
("A brief Genealogy of the Whipple family," Lowell, Mass., 1857, page 3.)

-p29

The Presentation of the Portraits of General Whipple, Signer of the Declaration of Independence, and David Glasgow Farragut Storer Post, G.A.R. Portsmouth, N.H. 1891

I did find a transcript of his wills in the The Probate Records of Essex County, Massachusetts: Volume 1 1635-1664 on Googlebooks. The first was written in 1645, the second a year later after his second marriage to Rose (whose last name is believed to be Chute):

Estate Of Matthew Whipple Of Ipswich.
"Month 3: day 7 : 1645. In the name of god amen. I Mathew whipple of Ipswich in New England being by reason of p'sent sicknesse much increasing vpon me seriously admonished of my mortality yet through the mercy of god inioying pfect memory & good vnderstanding after humble acknowledgm' of the great pacience & rich mercy of god to me a most vnworthy singer all my life longe and the Com ending of my spirit to his grace in Jesus Christ my body after my decease to Comly buriall in the earth out of which it was taken in hope of resurreccon vnto eternall life and my dear* children to the everlasting blessing of their heavenly father I doe hereby dispose of that estate which the lord hath gr.itiously given unto me as f olio wet h vnto my eldest sonne John Thre score pounds to my soune Mathew forty pounds To my sonne Joseph forty pounds vnto my daughter Mary Twenty pounds vnto my daughter Anna Twenty pounds vnto my daughter Elizabeth Twenty pounds vnto our rev Elders mr Nathaniel Rogers and mr John Norton to either of them forty shillings To the poore of Ipsw'* forty shillings. In case my estate be found to exceed these sumes the one halfe thereof I give to my eldest sonne John the other halfe to my two yonger sonnes. In case my estate fall short of the aforesaid Burnett theder»r< shalbe out of the persons of all my children equally my will is that none of my children shalbe disposed of in marriage or service but by the approbacon & consent of the present Elders & my dearc brother John whippie I leave the disposing of my three sonnes to the care of my executors whom I name & desire to be mr Nathan: Rogers mr Norton ro' Robert Payne & my brother John Whipple. In wittnes hereof I have set to my hande the day St yeare above written." Matthew whipple
Witness: John Norton, John whipple.


* Month the 9th 13th day 1646 I having by the evidence of god changed my estate by marriage since the making of the writing above I doe give vnto my wife Rose the sume of ten pounds to be paid her p'sently after my decease leaving vnto her all the goods or estate that she had before marriage And this being done I will that the writing above should stand in full force & virtue as my last will & Testament; further declaring my meaning to be that the persons of my sonnes be paid at the age of one & Twenty yeares and my daughters at the age of Twenty: and the mann' of the disposing my estate for the best accomplishment of the intent of my will I comitt vnto my above-named executoTM or any other matter that may be forgotten to be by them ordered and because they may be removed or diminished by death or any other departure I hereby give them power that the remayning numb shall choose a supply in that case to fill vp the numb except he that in removed shall appoynt an other in his roome. And this whole writing to wit that part that was write the 7lh day of the 3 month 1645 and this addicon I make & declare to be my last will & Testament being of good vnderstnding & memory setting herevnto my hand.
his mark
Matthew Whipple
Witness: Theophilus wilson, Thomas Knowlton
Proved 28:7:1647, by Theophilus Wilson and Thomas Knowlton

-pp87-89

The Probate Records of Essex County, Massachusetts: Volume 1 1635-1664 Essex Institute,  Salem, Ma.1916

I am descended from Matthew's eldest son John.

No comments: