Pages

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

THE "WHEN I WAS YOUNG" GENEA-MEME, PART 2

I'm still struggling to catch up with Randy Seaver's Saturday Night Genealogy Fun
challenges from his Genea-Musings blog. This is part 2 of the When I Was Young
challenge:

1)  Geneablogger Alona Tester has devised a new meme called the "When I Was Young" genea-meme on her blog, LoneTester HQ.

2)  Since the genea-meme is 25 questions, let's do the rest 10 at a time.  This week, answer questions 6 to 15.

3)  Share your answers on your own blog post, in a comment on this blog post, or in a Facebook post or a Google+ post.



6.When you were young, do you remember what it was that you wanted to grow up to be?
A cowboy. Hey, my last name IS West after all! And so was the last name of the Range
Rider's sidekick on tv!

7.Did you have a favourite teacher at school?
Miss Murphy, my second grade teacher at the Linden Elementary School in Malden. My
Mom told me when I was older that I had a big crush on Miss Murphy. 

8.How did you get to school?
I walked, up hill, two miles, in the snow. Ok, not that far, but I did walk. I never took
a school bus to school until we moved to Abington and I took it to high school. 

9.What games did playtime involve?
Hmm. In Malden, cowboys and indians, mostly. When we moved to Boston it was stick ball,
wiffle ball, "Three Flies Out" off the porch steps, and flipping baseball cards. But mostly I read a lot.

10.Did you have a cubby house?
Nope, no club house; in Boston, the front steps were your club house.

11.What was something you remember from an early family holiday?
Most of our family vacations were visits to Maine to visit my Dad's family. I remember on one
trip a bunch of us cousins sat in the back of Aunt Flossie's station wagon as we drove up
to visit our grandfather. We sang "99 Bottles of Beer On The Wall". And there was the fishing
trip where I only caught half a fish. Some animal had already eaten the bottom half.

12.What is a memory from one of your childhood birthday’s or Christmas?
The Christmas our folks got us a portable record player and we heard them playing the
Alvin & The Chipmunks "Christmas Song" several times when we were supposed to be asleep.  

13.What childhood injuries do you remember?
I never had any broken bones. I had corrective surgery several times and during one stay
they put me in a room with adult men, one of whom was a meat packer. I increased my
adult vocabulary and learned to play blackjack as a result.

14.What was your first pet?
Our first pet was a fox terrier named Saddles who was already there when I was born. He
was killed in a dogfight with a larger dog, a boxer, that lived across the street from us.




15.Did your grandparents, or older relatives tell you stories of “when I was young ..?”
Unfortunately, not that I can recall. My Dad's parents lived in Maine , and my Mom's mother
passed away when I was seven, so I can't recall if she told me any stories. I never met my
other grandfather.

No comments: