Pages

Monday, August 15, 2016

52 ANCESTORS IN 52 WEEKS 2016 WEEK 29: JOHN MOORE OF SUDBURY, MA.

My Immigrant ancestor John Moore is one of those cases on my family tree where I am descended from him through both of my Dad's parents. On the West side, he's my 9X great grandfather. On the Barker side, he's my 11x great grandfather, and until recently I hadn't known about that connection.

Here's what William Richard Cutter has to say about John Moore the Immigrant:

John Moore, the immigrant ancestor, was born in England. After coming to this country he seems to have settled first at Sudbury, Massachusetts. He bought a house and land there in 1642 of Edmund Rice, from his farms in what is now Wayland. He took the oath of fidelity July 9, 1645. He married Elizabeth Whale, daughter of Philemon Whale, and she was executrix of his will. His estate was valued at eight hundred and four pounds, seven shillings. His will was dated August 25, 1668, and proved April 7, 1674. He died January 6, 1673-74. He mentioned his son, John Moore, of Lancaster, William, Jacob, Joseph, to whom he left the homestead, and Benjamin; daughters, Elizabeth, wife of Henry Rice; Mary, wife of Daniel Stone, and Lydia, wife of James Cutler. His wife died December 14, 1690. Children: Elizabeth, born perhaps in England; John, eldest son, mentioned below; William, born about 1640; Mary, born September 8, 1641; Lydia, born June 24, 1643 ; Jacob, born April 28. 1645 ; Joseph, born October 21, 1647; Benjamin, born December 13. 1648-p1376

New England Families, Genealogical and Memorial: A Record of the Achievements of Her People in the Making of Commonwealths and the Founding of a Nation, Volume 3 Lewis historical publishing Company, New York, 1914

I found a copy of John's probate file over AmericanAncestors.org and I'll discuss that next.

To be continued,,,

1 comment:

Danine Cozzens said...

I was relieved to find that there was a term for this intermarriage, "pedigree collapse." In Reunion I was able to generate charts showing the common ancestry for several married couples in Sherborn, MA. Fortunately it's several generations back from me now.