Pages

Monday, January 02, 2012

A WALK ALONG THE NORTH RIVER, NORWELL, MA.

Back in November I mentioned I'd discovered that my 8x great grandfather
William Barstow was among the early shipbuilders of New England and
that he'd built the second shipyard on the North River in Hanover Ma back
in the mid 1600's. Today my brother in law Peter and I took a walk along the
shores of the North River at the Norris Reservation which is a bit further down
the river from where my ancestor's shipyard would have been. Ironically, I
discovered when I got home and began thinking about this post that yesterday,
1Jan, was the 345th anniversary of his death in 1667.

Apart from the advantages to a shipbuilder of being a tidal river, the North
River  at the point where it passes through Norwell is beautiful to see.











6 comments:

Heather Wilkinson Rojo said...

It was a nice day for a walk. Aren't you glad we don't have two feet of snow? It is great you can walk in your ancestors footsteps, too.

Polly F. Kimmitt said...

William Barstow's daughter Patience married Moses Simonson, my 8th g uncle! I love that park. Love the North River. Wish I could have been there!

Bill West said...

Polly, Patience and Moses are my 7x great grandparents, although we have him as Simmons in our tree!

Heather Wilkinson Rojo said...

William Barstow/Bairstow is my 8x Great grandfather. I descend from Patience's sister Mary, who married William Ingraham.

Anonymous said...

I am enjoying reading your blog. I found it researching Susanna Edson & James Keith, ancestors of both my parents. My mother is also a Barstow descendant through William's daughter, Sarah who married Nathaniel Church. I grew up on the South Shore and have walked many of the local parks. I haven't walked the Norris Reservation in years. Looks like you picked a beautiful day back in January to do so. Such a lovely spot. I am also descended from Moses Simmons through both mom & dad. Vi

Bill West said...

Hi there Cousin Vi! I'm glad you enjoy the blog!