Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

THE 2011 WEST IN NEW ENGLAND GENIE AWARDS

Once again it's the time of year when awards are handed
out, even in the geneablogging community. As a member of
the AGFH(Academy of Genealogy & Family History) it's my
pleasure to select the best blog posts in five different
categories So without further ado, here are my picks for the
2011 West in New England Genie Awards!



Best Picture (that would be a photograph)
I have two this year.
2xgreat grandmother Louisa Richardson West 1837-1925

3x great grandparents Louisa A Richardson West and Jonathan Phelps West and family.
Thanks again to cousin Lewis Wuori for sending these to me!





 Best Screen Play (story you would make into a movie including the cast),


My Genie Awards are more like Emmys than the Oscars because I tend to
write a series of posts on a subject. My "Best Screen Play" winner this year
are two entries in a long running (and still growing) series:

A FAMILY REUNION OF SORTS14: FROM ABINGTON TO BRAZIL PT1  and
A FAMILY REUNION OF SORTS15: FROM ABINGTON TO BRAZIL PT2
Andrew Jackson Dunham= Christian Bales
Sarah Dunham Dorr=Elizabeth McGovern
Richard C Dorr=Aidan Quinn
Clinton Door=Brendan Coyle(Bates from Downton Abbey)
A continuation from 2010 movie about the Dunhams of Abington.  The
roguish father, Andrew J Dunham; the daughter Sarah who marries a
plant foreman (Clinton) only to have him go insane and be comitted to
an insane asylum. and the grandson Richard who grows up to work in
Brazil of all places for a coffee company! 


Best Documentary (investigative research), 
LOOKING FOR MY GRANDFATHER
My Mom's parents divorced when she was very young and she would never
talk about her father. With the help of some of my geneablogging friends
I was able to find out what became of him. The series starts here in last
March  and ends for the moment in November.

Best Biography
THE FAMILY OF JOHN WESLEY ELLINGWOOD
Filling in the Ellingwood side of my family tree led me to the story of one
branch that spreads from Canada to California and to contact with a distant
Ellingwood cousin. Again this is a series that starts in November.


Best Comedy.
SOME GENEANONSENSE & SOME GENEANONSENSE 2
Learn to speak the secret language of genealogy. Really! Well...Sort of!


And that concludes the 2011 Genie Awards!

This was written for the 114th edition of the Carnival of Genealogy run
by Jasia, the owner of the CreativeGene genealogy blog. If you haven't
checked out one of her CoG's yet, I strongly recommend  that you do.
It's a great way to get a tour of some of the best genealogy bloggers
online!

4 comments:

BDM said...

Congratulations on your winning entries, Bill! For a split second there, I thought you said (best screen play), "story you would make into a movie including the CASH." LOLOLOL
- Brenda

Jasia said...

I love your choices for "Best Picture", Bill! Those are really neat pics.

Thanks for promoting and participating in the COG, Bill. I really appreciate you!

Kristin said...

Love the picture of your 2x great grandmother and the chickens? turkeys? that screen play would be a pretty sad one with the insanity and all.

Linda Gartz said...

I'm a little late on my congrats, but needed to weigh in. Those photographs are amazing! Probably from the very beginning of photography. I'm impressed with th research you were able to pull out to track down your mom's father.
Great choices!