Pages

Tuesday, January 26, 2021

52 ANCESTORS 1: ELISHA WEST OF KINGSTON MA. PT 2

 I came across an unexpected possible connection to my own life when I was researching  my 6x great grandfather Elisha West.


Elisha was married twice, first to Mary Bearce, and then to Martha Ransom. When he died in 1739, the guardianship of his eight children was divided between two men.


James Bearce was appointed the guardian of the four boys. He may have been their uncle or grandfather.


The four girls were put in the guardianship of Timothy Ripley. The Ripley and Ransom families were connected. I suspect Timothy may have been Martha's father or brother. Here's the image I found of the the guardianship document for one of the girls.

 

 


Plymouth County, MA: Probate File Papers, 1686-1881.Online database. AmericanAncestors.org. New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2015. (From records supplied by the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court Archives.)
 
 

 

So, what's the connection to my life?:


Well one of my high school classmates and friends is Jeff Ripley, whose family has been here as long as my Dad's. So it's a good possibility that he's related to the Timothy Ripley  in 1739 helped take care of my ancestor's four daughters! 


Genealogy is full of surprises!


No comments: