Pages

Tuesday, April 30, 2019

A BAD NIGHT AT JOHN PERKINS' TAVERN PT3

Another case involving Quartermaster John Perkins and his tavern was presented at that Essex County Quarterly Courtn session of 1May 1672. This one involved an assault on Perkins himself, and there was a different cast of characters from the previous brawl.

From the court records:

Andrews Peeters was fined upon his presentment, and was bound in five pounds that he shall come no more to Quartermaster Perkins' house except at court times.t

 tAlexander Orbort deposed that Quartermaster Perkins desiring him to attend in the room where Obadiah Bridges, and Andrew Peters were, he saw said Bridges take Perkins by the shoulders, "Andrew Peters in y* meantime pulling Quat'master by y* hair & John Clarke sitting att y* end off the table arose up & sayd unto Obadiah why doe you abuse the Quatrmastr thus, shall he not be master off his owne house: Obadiah Answered Noe he shall not: then John Clarke Answered yea but he shall thereupon John Clarke went to obadiah Bridges & struck up his heeles & held him downe." Samll. Clarke was not present when this happened. Sworn in court. 


John Clark's bill of cost. 


Joseph Fauwler, aged about nineteen years, testified that he was at his grandfather Kimbol's barn, and "I heard a ster in quartermasters new hauwse: and knowing my master was there I went In to quartermasters hauwse and when I kaeme in I asked the mayd what was the matter she told me she could not Tell I made to the Chamber where my master was: and in goyng I met with Jo Clark: I asked him what was the matter the sayd Clark told me that my master and the quartermaster was a quarreling: and sayd that obadyah stept in betweene: but I layd Obadyah soone at my foote: and I went op into the Chamber: and they where all Comming down into the lower Roome: and my master went out at the dore and in goyng out: the quartermaster took my master By the Coller: and stroke him: and my master did not lift op his hand agaynst the quartermaster
." -pp33-34


Records and Files of the Quarterly Courts of Essex County, Massachusetts: Volume V 1672-1674  Essex Institute, Salem Ma. 1916

The rest of the testimony will be in the next post.

To be continued


No comments: