Pages

Monday, April 01, 2019

52 ANCESTORS IN 52 WEEKS 2019 WEEK 14: ABRAHAM PERKINS SR. OF HAMPTON, N.H. PT. 2




I found a transcription of my ancestor Abraham Perkins' will online at Google Books. His son Abraham Jr. had been killed by Indians at Hampton six years earlier, so he is not mentioned. I am descended from another son, Luke, who is mentioned  near the end of the will:

ABRAHAM PERKINS 1683 HAMPTON

In the name of God Amen. I Abraham Perkins of Hampton in the Province of New Hampshire in New England being weak in body but sound in understanding and of a disposing mind Do make this my last Will & Testament, as followeth.

ffirst, I commit my soul to Almighty God ye ffather of Spirits, who gave me life and being, and my body to the earth from whence it was taken, that after my dissolution to be buried in Hampton burying place in a Christian & decent manner as my Executors shall appoint. And for what worldly goods God hath given me, my Will is as follows


Item, I give unto my beloved Wife during her life the new end of my house, with the chamber above: And give her hereby liberty to make use of ye other back house as she shall have need. And I give unto her two cows & their increase wholly to dispose of them as she shall please. And for as much as I do by this my Will give unto my sons Jonathan & Humphry all my land & cattell excepting them two above menc’oned deviding all things equally betwixt them as hereafter shall be declared. And my Will is, that they do both of them carefully provide comfortable relief for their mother, & to provide three lods of hay & to put it into the barn for to winter her two cows, except they do agree otherwise. And further my two sons Jonathan & Humphry shall provide for their mother sufiicient fire wood so much as she shall need making it fit for her use, And to give her yearly sixteen bushel of corn Twelv of lndian Two of wheat & Two of barly or rye. And they shall provide for her a well fatted hog or shot to kill, 8 : half a hundred of good beef yearly. And I do give unto my Wife all my houshold stuff to be at her disposing excepting carpentars tools & military implements & husbandry. And I give unto her 4 sheep & my sons to maintain them for her & the thirds of ye apples in ye orchard. And in case my two sons Jonathan & Humphry do neglect their duty to their mother in providing things necessary for her comfortable being & not attending to my Will, then this is my Will; She shall have ye thirds of all I have And furthermore this is my Will, That I give unto my two sons (Jonathan Perkins and Humphry Perkins all my lands I have in Hampton, both meadow and Upland, viz; My house Lots & planting Lot North hill Lot and Asbrook Lot and the North devision towards Greenland And the New plantac’on with three shares of the Cow com’ons and one in ye Ox com’on. With all my tools for Carpentars, All implements for husbandry, as Ploughs, carts, harrows, yokes, chains. And likewise all implements belonging to military discipline; Guns, swords, pikes, ammunition, 8: what els. And my Will is, That my son Jonathan shall have ye whole Lot that I bought of Isack Cole w°“ is about four or five acres, lying between my old house Lot & ye street way which he hath now built upon. All these particulars above menc’oned I do give to him & his heirs for ever, paying out such legacies as hereafter shall be expressed. And I do give unto my son Humphry my House y‘ I now live in. With all ye building belonging to it, With ye Orchards belonging & being that this Lot is bigger than Jonathans, the Lot being about ten acres & much building, my son Humphry shall pay to my daughter Sarah twenty pounds for a legacy, Shall pay it in four years after my decease, To pay it in currant merchantable pay at currant price. And I do give unto my Granddaughter Mary ffifield now dwelling with me, fiive pound. And I give unto my daughter Abigail ffive pound. And I give unto my son James Perkins fiive pound. And I give unto my Grandson John Perkins ffive pound. And I give unto my son David ffive shillings. And I give unto my son Luke ffive shillings ; for these two sons have had their share already, These six last legacies which is twenty pound ten shillings shall be paid by both my sons Jonathan & Humphry equally alike every year ffive pound to them abovenamed after one another as they are set down to be paid in currant marchantable pay at curra’t price: And my son Jonathan & Humphry shall equally devide all my cattel excepting that cow he had with his wife. And to all these abovemenc’oned I set my hand & seal
Hampton August 22. 1683. Abraham Perkins [seal]


Signed & Sealed in y° p'sence of us Witnesses
Seaborn Cotton
John Tucke
[Proved Sept. 18, 1683.]
[Deeds, vol. 4, p. 63.]


[Inventory of the estate of Abraham Perkins of Hampton, who died Aug. 31, 1683; taken Oct. 4, 1683; amount, £361.2.6; attested before Edward Cranfield by Jonathan Perkins and Humphrey Perkins Oct. 5, 1683.]


-pp 263-265

Probate Records of the Province of New Hampshire ... 1635-[1771], Volume 31   Rumford Printing Company, Concord, N.H. 1907

No comments: