Pages

Thursday, July 26, 2018

THE BARKER FARM NORTH ANDOVER, MA,

Last week I was watching Chronicle, a program on Boston tv channel WCVB. They were doing a show about the oldest businesses in Massachusetts and one segment was on Barker Farm, the oldest continuously owned & operated family farm. It's located in North Andover, Ma. and was established in 1642.

Now this got my attention right away. My 8x great grandfather Richard Barker was one of the original settlers of the town of Andover in the 1630's so he was the first owner of the farm, and hearing it has stayed in the Barker family amazed me. I mentioned the story on my Facebook page and discussed it with my genealogy friends, saying that I'd have to visit the farm someday.

My distant cousin Heather Wilkinson Rojo of the Nutfield Genealogy geneablog beat me to it and took some pictures while there. She's kindly given me permission to use them here:


There's a farmstand along with a working farm.

While the farm has been operated since 1642 the original buildings are long gone.




Inside the farmstand.


I still hope to visit the farm myself sometime in the next few months. Thank you Heather for taking the pictures!

2 comments:

Dave said...

I am 8 Generation descendant of Richard Barker, my Grandmother was daughter of James Monroe Barker. My cousin and I hope to make the trip to the Farm to see and experience it.

Bill West said...

Hi there cousin!