Pages

Thursday, July 12, 2018

AN APOLOGY

Recently I found out that Google had changed a setting on my blog that sent me an email whenever
someone left a comment on my blog. They stopped sending the emails.

Now I hadn't really suspected that was the case. I'd noticed I hadn't gotten any comments on my blogposts of late, but didn't think much about it. After all, I'm not one of the better known geneabloggers and don't have as many followers as others do. Then I saw a post on Facebook from another genealogist about finding hundreds of comments from readers she hadn't been notified about. So I checked the Comments link on my blog settings and was dismayed to find I had many comments from as far back as last year that I hadn't known about. To make matters worse, a few days ago in an attempt to publish them en masse I inadvertently deleted them all.

Tonight I found five new comments left from the last few days and those have now been published. I will try to fix the Comments setting so I will once more get the email notifications and this situation  doesn't continue.

I apologize for not responding to those readers who took the time to read my blog and never saw them published.

4 comments:

Heather Wilkinson Rojo said...

Thanks for your post, Bill. I just found a lot of comments awaiting moderation in my dashboard, too. I feel so badly that they weren't published. Now to figure out how to fix this...

Tony Proctor said...

Which setting is that, Bill? I don't see many settings relevant to Comments, and no easy way of seeing if there are any new comments that I haven't received emails for.

Bill West said...

Tony I took a screenshot of the emsil settings screen but can't figure out how to post that in my comments. So I'll do a second post.

Karen Packard Rhodes said...

I had the same experience, Bill. I wish Google had notified us of the change!