Pages

Sunday, February 11, 2018

52 ANCESTORS IN 52 WEEKS 2018 WEEK 6: MOSES BARROWS SR. OF PLYMPTON, MA.

There isn't a lot of information  available online about my  6x great grandfather Moses Barrows Sr. of Plympton, Ma.,  and some family trees at Ancestry.com contradict what I have for him.

Moses was born to George and Patience (Simmons) Barrows at Plymouth, Ma on 14 Feb 1697.  He married Mary Carver 4Dec 1719, who was related to John Carver, the first Governor of Plimouth Plantation. Moses farmed in Plympton and also was involved in the fledgling iron ore industry at Sampson's Pond. The estate list in his probate file of July 1769  includes the following:

"The 16th part of a furnace by Samson's pond.
The right to the ore in Samson's pond."

The contradiction comes in his family. I have only two sons for him: Seth, born in Plympton in 1719, and Moses Jr, born in  1725. Seth was the administrator for his father's estate. Moses Jr , who is my 5x great grandfather, is not mentioned in the will, but by the time of his father's death he had moved up to New Hampshire,

But of the 42 family trees on Ancestry.com that Moses Barrows Sr. appears on, 18 of them list up to 9 children in the family, including Seth and Moses. None of these others are mentioned in the probate file. I suspect a mix up with another Moses Barrows. I hope to clear up the discrepancy as I add more
of the Barrows family to my data base.

No comments: