Great news from Findmypast for those of us with British or Irish Ancestry!
Here's a press release with the details. Be sure to read the last part for how you can participate:
FINDMYPAST ANNOUNCES FIVE DAYS OF FREE ACCESS TO BRITISH & IRISH RECORDS
From Thursday 22nd June until Monday June 26th 2017, British & Irish records available on Findmypast will be free to search and explore
London, UK, 22nd June 2017
Leading family history website, Findmypast, has just announced that their unrivalled collection of British and Irish records will be free to access for the next five days. Between 04:00 EDT 22nd June and 18:59 EDT, June 26th 2017, more than 1.1 billion records ranging from censuses and parish registers to military service records will be completely free to search and explore.
By providing free access to such a wide array of records, Findmypast aims to encourage genealogists to experience the very best of everything Findmypast has to offer. Researchers will also be provided with daily getting started guides, expert insights and useful how-to blogs over the course of the free access period, as well as a free downloadable eBook entitled “your must have guide to finding your British & Irish ancestors”.
An open “ask the experts” question and answer session will also be broadcast live on Facebook at 10am EDT on Monday (June 26th). Findmypast specialists in search techniques, military records, UK family history and everything in-between will be on hand to answer any questions researchers may have, whether they’re just getting started or need help overcoming a brick wall. This will then be followed by a free webinar entitled “20 Unmissable Resources for Tracing Your British and Irish ancestors” at 11am EDT, Wednesday July 5th.
For the duration of the free access period, all visitors to Findmypast will be able to access all of the following resources for free;
- The largest collection of UK Parish Registers anywhere online
- The largest online collection of Irish family history records in the world
- The largest collection of British Military service records and the only collection to cover all three service branches (Army, Navy & Air Force)
- The largest collection of British WW1 records & over 2.7 million Foreign Office Prisoner of War records covering both World Wars
- The largest online collection of England & Wales Crime, Prisons & Punishment records
- Over 13 million Roman Catholic Sacramental Registers covering Ireland, Scotland England and the US
Findmypast is home to millions of British & Irish records you won’t find anywhere else online and is the only family history website committed to releasing new records every single week.