Pages

Monday, July 20, 2015

THE CASE AGAINST THOMAS TUXBURY PT4: "...BY RAISING OF STORYS & SCANDALLS..."

More statements about the charges against Thomas Tuxbury, followed by his rebuttal. Some of the men who vouched for his character are my ancestors: William Gerrish, Stephen Greenleaf, and Joseph Bailey.
This is a long post, so I'll save my observations for the last post in the series. 

William Saman, aged about thirty-eight years, deposed that about three years ago, Tuksbery being at Boston, he saw several letters that passed between him and the widow Bartlett, she being at Newbury. Deponent had seen them at Newbery kissing each other, etc. Sworn, Sept. 19, 1674, before Robt. Pike,* commissioner.

Mrs. Susana Goodin deposed that she rode to Newbery with the widow Bartlet when the rumor was that they were to marry and she told her that three of Tuksbery's children were to come over, one of whom was placed out and one his father was to keep. She further said that when her husband Bartlet was alive she thought it was impossible for her to have loved any other as she did him, but that she now loved this man better than she loved him.

Sworn, Sept. 18, 1674, before Rob. Pike,* commissioner. Wm. Gerrish,* Steven Grenlefe,* Richard Dole,* John Knight, sr.,* Thomas Hale, jr.,* Daniell Peirce,* Anthony Somerby,* Caleb Moody,* Joseph Bayley* and John Webster* certified, Sept. 14, 1674, that Thomas Tewxsbury had lived civilly and like a Christian. Nathanell Clarke* testified that the testimony against this man was of little consequence. "I have known the man euer sins he came to our town and neuer did know any euell of him."

Thomas Tewxbery's* petition: "lett me beseech your worshipe to consider this my poore condition which I am at this time forsed to lay open before your worshipe to my greife thus it was that I was forsed to fly my contry & to leave my family & kindred for surtyship & when it was soe with me I Could not be satisfied noe wheare in that land but I must com to this country in soe meane estate that I was forsd to bind my selfe for my pasage not longe after by the helpe of my brother got my selfe cleare & lived with him but very much troubled in the mean time my brothers neihbor died & the executor wild me to rent his tenament which after sum consideration I tooke it wiled by the advise of sum frends to send to my family which I have don to my best abelity whearupon I was willing to get if posible sum thing about me expecting every year their coming over & had noe encorigment from them that I might goe to them the times now being amended I have intended all this year to goe for them but god has ben pleasd to viset me with a great lamnes whearby I have ben much disinabled & now I be sech your worshipe consider & see how this people seek to undoe me in state & good name by raising of storys & scandalls about many things that have ben past to or three yeare since not that I have done them any wrong but in suspition that I have caused diferences to arise between their son and his wife because I went to her mother to have my hand cured thay then livinge in house whith her mother the partys them selvs noe ways acusing me

Charls Anes and Sarah Anes deposed that they had known Thomas Tewxbery ever since he came into the country, living close by him and had been in his company early and late, but never saw any uncivil carriage. They considered that he lived in the fear of God and carried himself well all the time he lived in the house with the widow Bartlet.

Johne Daves deposed that "I lived in one end of the house with Thomas Tewxbery most parte of the time he lived in house with the widow," etc.

John Stevens and Mary Stevens deposed that they were his next neighbors and he had milk of them and they never saw any uncivil carriages, but oftentimes gave them good instruction in the way of God to their comfort. John Bayley and his wife testified that when he was at their house, he carried himself well, etc
pp403-404

Records and Files of the Quarterly Courts of Essex County, Massachusetts, Volume 5
Massachusetts. County Court (Essex County), George Francis Dow
Essex Institute, 1916 - Essex County (Mass.)

No comments: