Pages

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

KINDLE-ING GENEALOGY: ADDING ONEDRIVE

I recently decided to finally take the plunge into backing up my files in the "cloud".
There are a lot of programs to choose from and for awhile I stressed out over which
one to choose. Dropbox, Google Drive, and One Drive were my final three choices, and
I ended up choosing Microsoft's OneDrive based on two features: first, the free 15GB
storage, and secondly, the OneDrive app for Kindle.



I went to the Micrsoft OneDrive website and created a Microsoft account (using a
different password than the ones I use for Gmail and Facebook). I then saw I could add
an additional 15GB by linking my Camera Roll to my OneDrive account. I knew I had a
Camera Roll on my Kindle, so if I was able to make that link I'd have a total of 30 free GB
to work with for my genealogy files.

Next I went to the Kindle App store and downloaded the Onedrive app. Once I did that,
I was able to link the Camera Roll and got the extra  15 GB. Now came the work. I have
over 110 surname folders and 2.66GB of images and documents in my genealogy files on
my laptop. Being paranoid, I didn't want to Move all those files to the cloud, just Copy them
there. I went to the Onedrive folder,  then to Documents and created a Genealogy folder.
Then over the course of this last week I gradually copied everything from the laptop to
the OneDrive cloud.



When I first started and checked the OneDrive app on my Kindle, the screen looked like this:



Pretty looking but I wondered if all those thumbnails might be a drain on my Kindle's battery,
so I changed to the more practical List format:




One suggestion: whether you Move or Copy folders to OneDrive, do it one folder at a time.
It's much faster.

And since my first post about the Kindle, I've learned how to take Screen Shots  with my
Kindle Fire HD6: you press the Sound Volume Bar and the Power button at the same time.
I don't know if this works for earlier Kindle models, but at least there won't be any more camera
reflections on images from my Kindle's screen.

 DISCLAIMER: I neither work for nor receive any compensation from Amazon or Microsoft.

No comments: