Pages

Tuesday, December 06, 2011

ADVENT CALENDAR :A CHRISTMAS CONFESSION 2011






As you can see, I had a very formal relationship with Santa
No laps for me. A simple solemn pose would do, thank you,
for the photo-op.






Formal attire was also worn when visiting Santa’s Village up in
New Hampshire. A sports jacket was de rigeur for the feeding of
reindeer but one was allowed to be more casual when posing with
the sled and full team. The girls are my cousin Terry and my
sister Cheryl.



Actually, I think we might have been there on a Sunday. We’d
have attended Mass in Berlin and probably continued on home
with a stop to visit the Village.

But by the time those pictures were taken, I’d fallen from grace.

Yes, I no longer believed in Santa Claus.

I’m not sure how I figured it out but I do know I must have been around
six or seven years old because we were still living in Malden in the two
family house that my folks and my aunt and uncle co-owned. I know this
because when I found out there was no Santa Claus, I shared my
knowledge and heard about it for years afterward.


Yes, I told my cousins who lived downstairs. I think that was the
year I got a lump of coal in my stocking (but there were still
presents under the tree).

I’m not sure if I told my sister the awful truth later or if she
found out some other way. I do know I didn’t tell my kid brother.
After all, I was an adult of 17 by then and I had a greater appreciation
for what Santa meant to little kids!

But there it is.

I squealed on Santa.

Originally published in Dec. 2007. I've added the picture with Santa
to this update.

3 comments:

Kristin said...

I guess Santa had the last word with that lump of coal.

Terri O'Connell said...

My youngest told me one year that she did not believe. I told her if you do not believe, you will not get presents from him. She said she was ok with that. When Christmas morning came, she opened her gifts from the family and when everyone was done she told me that Santa did not leave her anything. I replied, I told you he only leaves presents for those that believe. The rest of the house had presents from Santa, but not her.

Wendy said...

What fun it must have been to feed the deer and pose on the reindeer pulling the sleigh.