Pages

Sunday, June 20, 2010

DIGGING UP ALEXANDER AUGUSTUS BARKER

So last night after posting my response to Randy Seaver's SNGF
challenge of "A Prolific Dad" I decided to run the names of some
of my Barker ancestors through FamilySearch's Record Search.
When I put in my the names of my 3x great grandparents
Nathaniel Barker and his wife Huldah Hastings, I found this
surprise:



This is the Massachusetts Death Certificate for one Alexander Augustus
Barker born around June or July 1824 to Nathaniel Barker and Huldah
Hastings who died on 9Oct 1912. Well, this was news to me! I knew of
two sons for Nathaniel and Huldah, my 2x great grandfathers Amos
Hastings Barker and Nathaniel S. Barker but no other children.
Admittedly I hadn't started looking for any other siblings as yet,
but I'd never seen mention of Alexander on any of the places I'd found
Amos and Nathaniel S. If this was one of Nathaniel and Huldah's
children who'd headed south to Massachusetts, he'd done quite well
for himself, since the certificate lists his occupation as "Formerly Asst.
Supt. of  Cambridge Cem". It gives his place of burial as Mt.Auburn
Cemetery which is a beautiful place. I wonder if he'd picked out a good
spot for himself?

I decided to look further for Alexander Augustus Barker on Record
Search. I found a record of a marriage to a  Lydia Jane Hutchins on 4Jul
1855 in Carmel, Me. and the groom's father is listed as Nathaniel. It
seems the newlyweds left Maine soon after for Massachusetts because
they are enumerated on the 1855 Ma. State Census living in Watertown.
Alexander's occupation is given as  laborer. Next I found Alexander
and Lydia listed as the parents of a Frank W. Barker born in
Watertown, Ma. 19Feb 1858. Then on the Massachusetts
1865 State Census in Watertown Alexander is listed as "Supt. Mt.
Auburn Cemetery.  

The 1870 Federal Census shows the Barkers still living in Watertown
with their son and two daughters. Alexander's position is now given as
"Foreman at Mt. Auburn Cemetery" . Sometime before 1880 the
family moved to Cambridge and Alexander is listed as "Sexton in
Cemetery." By 1900 the now 76 year-old Alexander was working as
the cemetery gatekeeper, so I suspect his Lexington Ave home must
be only a short distance away from the place.

Now if I can find a record of his birth to Nathaniel and Huldah, I can
add a gravely distinguished 2x great granduncle to my family tree!!

No comments: