Pages

Monday, May 19, 2008

SPEAK LIKE A NATIVE NEW ENGLANDER!

Along with funny place names, New England has many names
with easy looking names that have tricky...for outsiders...
pronunciations.It's often a cause of amusement to hear a
newly hired reporter mangle one of the local town names.

So, I'll be posting a series of short posts to help people learn
how to speak New England-ese.

First up, Leominster, in honor of Randy Seaver who often
mentions it.

Looks like "Leo-minster", right?

Nope.

It's "Leh-minster", at least as pronounced in Eastern
Massachusetts.

It might have a slightly different accent "west of Worcester."

I'll get into that another time!

3 comments:

Lori Thornton said...

You may have to speed up these posts if I'm to be proficient when I arrive in Boston May 31.

Lisa / Smallest Leaf said...

Great series, Bill! Keep up the good work. I"ll be reading with interest.

Lisa
Small-leaved Shamrock
A light that shines again
100 Years in America

Janice said...

Bill,

I'm enjoying your series.

I always say Lem-in-STAH as I'm one of the few left with a fairly strong New Hampsha' accent :D

Janice