Pages

Sunday, July 25, 2021

52 ANCESTORS: JOHN CUTTER WEST PT1






It's been awhile since I posted anything here but I'm hoping to change that. I'd been puzzling out how I wanted to proceed with the 52 ancestors posts because I was at a point in my West line where I'd already written quite a bit about John Cutter West and the next generations. So do I write entirely new posts or repost the earlier ones?


I decided on a mix of both, albeit most of the mix will be reposts. Too many good stories not to retell. And I've found new information to update some of them. So I beg my readers' indulgence if they've read most of this before.


My 3x great grandfather John Cutter West was one of  the ten children of Paul West and Hannah Crowell but the only one not born in Nova Scotia. He was born on 8Oct 1802 in Plymouth, Ma. For years this stmied me until I reasoned out that his mother, if not both parents, probably were visiting their relatives in Plymouth or Cape Cod since that was where both thier families were from originally. When John was a teenager he was apprenticed to a blacksmith in Boston. 


And then he purchased a blacksmith shop in Canton, Maine. While there he met and married Arvilla Ames at Sumner, Me. on  23 Sep 1827. Their two eldest children were born in Canton before the family moved to Letter B Plantation (now  Upton)in Oxford County where the rest of their eleven children were born, one of whom was my  2x great grandfather Jonathan Phelps West.


John Cutter West died on 24Jul 1862 during a diphtheria epidemic that also killed three children, his daughter in law and several grandchildren. They are buried in a roadside cemetery in Grafton, Me.


Those are the facts. But as I said, there some good stories associated with those fats, and I'll be reposting some of them, and hopefully some new ones. 





No comments: