Pages

Friday, November 14, 2014

THE SIXTH ANNUAL GREAT GENEALOGY POETRY CHALLENGE DEADLINE IS NEARLY HERE!

There's now less than a week to go for blogpost submissions to the Sixth
Annual Great Genealogy Poetry Challenge. The deadline is Thursday,
November 20th and I'll be posting the list of links here on Thanksgiving
Day, Thursday, November 27th.

Once again the Challenge rules are:

1. Find a poem by a local poet, famous or obscure, from the region 
your ancestors lived in. It can be about an historical event, a
legend, a person, or even about some place (like a river)or a local
animal. It can even be a poem you or one of your ancestors have written!
0r if you prefer, post the lyrics of a song or a link to a video of someone
performing the song. 


2. Post the poem or song to your blog (remembering to cite the source
where you found it.).  If you wish to enter an older post, you may as long

as long as it has not appeared here in an earlier Poetry Challenge.
 
3.Tell us how the subject of the poem or song relates to your ancestor's
home or life, or the area of the country where they lived.

4.Submit your post's link here in a comment to me by midnight Thursday,

November 20th and I'll publish all links to the entries on Thanksgiving Day, 
November 27th.

If  you submit a humorous poem or song that will be entered under the
"Willy Puckerbrush" division. Willy was the late geneablogger Terry
Thornton's alias for some humorous posts and comments.


I've already received several blogpost links, and I hope there will be more
before the deadline falls.

3 comments:

Diane B said...

Hi Bill. I have an ancestor with ties to a remarkable book of poetry - Tales of a Wayside Inn, by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. Although the story was not known in my family, Buckley Parmenter and his wife worked at the inn ("Howe's Tavern" in those days) - for owner Lyman Howe - most of their lives. According to a Harper's Magazine article: "Then there was Buckley – Buckley Parmenter – a faithful male servant of the Squire, and who had a home with him as long as he lived, and who would have laid down his life to serve him." I was thrilled and amazed to find Buckley's story in poetry, for although he's not mentioned in the Tales themselves, he was specifically mentioned in a poem by one of Longfellow's friends, a frequent visitor at the inn, Thomas William Parsons. While I haven't repeated the whole poetry book, of course, I have tried to tell the story amidst snippets of the poem. It remains, for me, a treasured discovery.

Diane B said...

http://onerhodeislandfamily.com/2013/05/06/buckley-parmenter-wayside-inn/

Pam Beveridge said...

This is a post I did over 4 years ago. The words resound with me as my ancestors trod these paths, paddled these streams and fished these bays. And it helps that I've had two Wabanaki friends who helped me with the language, one of whom participated in the massive Passamquoddy-Maliseet dictionary published 6 years ago after many years of research.
http://heirloomsreunited.blogspot.com/2010/08/poem-maiden-of-quoddy-by-james-de-mille.html