Pages

Friday, June 20, 2014

WHAT I KNOW ABOUT THE COBURNS



This is another in a series of posts in which I list what I've already learned about one of my family lines and then a "To Do" list of things I need to do to learn more.

-My Coburn ancestry comes to me through my paternal grandmother Cora B.Barker  whose own paternal grandmother was Lucy Coburn  of Albany, Oxford, Me. 

- My Coburn immigrant ancetor was Edward Colburn who came to Massachusetts in 1635 on the ship Defence at age 28and settled at Ipswich, Ma.  The family later moved to other towns in Middlesex County, such as Dracut and Tyngsborough.

-The family name has been spelled a number of different ways:Colbourne, Colburne, Colborne, Colbern, Colburn and Coburn. My branch of the family eventually settled on the
using Coburn.

- Some siblings of my ancestors were among those who resettled what became the
Canadian province of New Brunswick after the Acadians were exiled by the British.

.My 4x great grandfather Moses Coburn fought in the Revolutionary War

-Documents I have found so far include:
   -Moses Coburn's Revolutionary War Pension file which I found on Fold3

  -Moses Coburn's Probate file and Will which I found on FamilySearch.

 -Land sale transactions by 5x great grandfather Caleb Coburn from FamilySearch

-The death record of 2x great grandmother Lucy(Coburn)Barker from FamilySearch  

-A copy of The Genealogy of the Descendants of Edward Colburn from Google Books.

To Do List:
-Find  the name of the wife of Caleb Coburn, my 5x great grandmother.
-Transcribe Moses Coburn's Revolutionary War Pension file.
-Transcribe Moses Coburn's  Will and Probate file.
- Add the names of more of my Coburn ancestors' siblings to my database and online trees.

And I'd like to take a drive up to Dracut and Tyngsborough to see what else I can find out
about my Coburn ancestors.

This is how my grandmother Cora Barker descends from Edward Colburn:



No comments: