Pages

Saturday, May 31, 2014

THE GENEABLOGGER WORLD WAR ONE CHALLENGE

One hundred years ago, on June 28, 1914, Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria was
assassinated in the Serbian city of Sarajevo. One month later, on July 29th World War 1
began. It was the first "global conflict" and it affected many families in Europe and the
Americas. So to commemorate the start of World War 1 I thought I'd ask my fellow
geneabloggers:

Where your ancestors were in 1914, and what effect the war would have
on their families?

Did any of them see military action? Were any family members killed? Do you have any
photographs of them in uniform?

Did the War force your ancestors to leave their homes? Was it the reason they emigrated
to another country? Where did they go?

Write a blogpost on any of the above, or something else about  World War 1 and your family. When it's posted, send me the link. If you have already written a blogpost that you'd like to use, then send me the link to that post. 

 The deadline for submissions will be July29th, 2014. I'll publish the list of links here a week later on August 5th.


 


6 comments:

Christine Blythe said...

This was very timely. A few days ago I posted stories about two ancestors who both were MIA, one at Vimy and the other at Courcelette. No remains were ever found.

The link is http://www.emptynestancestry.com/335/

Jana Iverson Last said...

Bill,

I want to let you know that your blog post is listed in today's Fab Finds post at http://janasgenealogyandfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/2014/06/follow-friday-fab-finds-for-june-6-2014.html

Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

I commemorated my two known ancestors who were killed in action during WWI on Memorial Day: http://tangledrootsandtrees.blogspot.com/2014/05/honoring-those-who-died-in-service-of.html

Bill West said...

Thanks Jana!

Schalene Dagutis said...

I have created a page for your challenge on my blog where I list links to all my posts about World War I.

Bill West said...

Schalene, do you have the link to the post you mention?