Pages

Saturday, September 18, 2010

SATURDAY NIGHT GENEALOGY FUN: THE TIME MACHINE

It's Saturday night and time for Randy Seaver's Saturday Night
Genealogy Fun. This week we get to use a time machine:

"Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to:

1) Determine which event in your ancestral history that you would

love to be a witness to via a Time Machine. Assume that you could 
observe the event, but not participate in it.

2) Tell us about it in a blog post of your own, in a comment to this 

blog post, or in a comment on Facebook."

I've thought about this for a couple of hours now and my first thought
was to use the Time Machine to break down my biggest brickwall.
It's tempting to say I'd go back to some point in the life of the Elusive
John Cutter West to learn about his parentage and place of birth. But
after thinking about it, I have another incident that I would like to 
witness instead, and far more recent.


A few years back at my nephew Paul's wedding my Aunt Emily told me 
how shortly after my birth and  her daughter Winnie's, Emily and my
Mom had found out where my grandfather(Mom's dad) Edward F.White
Sr was living and went there to let him know he had two grandchildren.
They found out that not only was he remarried, but he'd had another son
that was named Edward.I would have liked to see that for two reasons, 
the first and obvious one being it would fill in the big hole in my family
history that is my grandfather and his second family. The other reason
is that I have wondered if Mom and Emily actually spoke with him, and
if so, how did he react? What did he say? Or leave without talking once
they found out he'd given his new son the same name as Mom's brother
and Emily's husband?


I've asked myself those questions ever since I heard that story, and a 
Time Machine would help me get the answer.

1 comment:

Cheri Hopkins aka You Go Genealogy Girl #2 said...

There are so many wonderful events and people I would like to see or meet that it could be a difficult decision but it was not. I would like to go back and witness the wedding of my Mom and Dad. They were both awesome parents to three children and were married with only witnesses present in the Presbyterian parsonage, Alliance, Ne. in 1936. They were married for over 60 years and together for nearly 70. Seeing their commitment of marriage to one another would be my trip of a lifetime in your awesome time machine.