Pages

Thursday, August 21, 2008

TUNES

Tim Abbott over at Walking the Berkshires came up with a
meme on "The Music of My Salad Days" about the music that
influenced us in some way in our younger days.

Well, the first thing I recall is the log drums in the cave....er
...just kidding.


Ok, I'm a child of the `50 and `60's. My preteen and early
teen years I watched American Bandstand and listened to
WMEX 1510 on the AM dial out of Boston(Arnie Ginsberg
and the Night Train Show! Woo Woo!) In those days, Elvis
was King of course, but Roy Orbison and the Everley
Brothers were my favorite singers.


Along came the 1960's, high school and then college. Most of
these albums I bought in cassettes (still have most of them)
when I finally bought them, and when I did it was because of
specific songs on them:

Rubber Soul
Hard Day's Night
Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Hey, it's the Beatles! Do I really need to say anything more?


Days of Future Passed
In Search of the Lost Chord
Moody Blues

"Nights in White Satin" is still one of my all time favorite songs.
And the Lost Chord's "Ride My Seesaw" is another.

Between the Buttons
Beggars Banquet
The Rolling Stones
"Ruby Tuesday" from Buttons and "Street Fighting Man" and
"Sympathy for the Devil" from Banquet

Sounds of Silence
Simon & Garfunkel
"I Am a Rock"

Crosby, Stills and Nash
"Suite Judy Blue Eyes". "Marrakesh Express" and "Guinevere"

If You Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears
The Mamas ands the Papas
"California Dreamin"

Time Peace: The Rascal's Greatest Hits
"Good Lovin", "Groovin"

Yep, I'm a rock and roll dinosaur. And even though I turned
60 yesterday, I still crank up the volume when any of those
songs or many others come on the car radio.



As one of my former coworkers told me once, "Gotta have
my tunes when I'm driving!"

No comments: