Pages

Thursday, July 23, 2009

PERHAPS THIS IS WHY THE TOWN FINANCES ARE IN TROUBLE?

There's an override vote coming up here in Abington on Saturday
and it's caused quite a bit of debate online between supporters and
opponents. I haven't made my mind up completely on it, but this
comment might have pushed me into the Yes column:

"Someone else brought us that the library is reducing hours. Honestly,
they should have done that a long time ago. I frequent the library often
and half the time Im the only one in there or one of three people in there
(aside from the librarians). Unfortunately Abington just needs to realize
that our town doesnt like reading and the library, though beautiful and
a great resource, just goes unused too often."

"Our town doesnt like reading "?

Right. Who needs to read? Who needs a library anyway?
(I'm being sarcastic here, folks.)

Words fail me.

4 comments:

Diana Ritchie said...

"Our town doesnt like reading"?!?! That makes me want to cry!

Tracy said...

And people wonder why our children are slipping behind.....sad, very sad.

Bill West said...

The override was defeated overwhelmingly. The library may lose
its accreditation as a result of the cuts.

Karen Packard Rhodes said...

Bill, as a former librarian, I can tell you that in bad economic times, libraries always get the ax! I had the bad fortune to move away from my library job in the early 1970s, during that recession, and never found a library job after that.

It is a horrid situation.