Pages

Wednesday, July 08, 2009

NOT THAT I'M TRYING TO BE ANTI-SOCIAL

Randy Seaver has an interesting post over on his Genea-Musings blog about the new
Genealogywise social website, which is sort of a "Facebook for genealogists". I went
over, checked it out, and it does look promising. Some of my geneablogger friends
have already signed on as members.


And you know what? I'm going to pass on joining up.

Not that I'm being anti-social, mind you, but I'm happy with Facebook. Besides my
geneblogging friends, there are my friends, former schoolmates, coworkers, and
relatives on Facebook. It gives me a wider audience to reach with the posts from my
blog that I import as notes. And I've made contact with cousins there that I wouldn't
make on Genealogywise.

I notice that there is also "Platinum Service". I'm not sure what that entitles you
to but I suspect there's a fee for that.

I know, I could do both Genealogywise AND Facebook, but in the end, I know I
couldn't keep up with doing both and doing research. Heck I'm barely keeping up
now as it is without adding Genealogywise. How folks can do Tweet and FB is
amazing to me.

Anywho, that's my stand for the moment, old fuddyduddy that I am!

4 comments:

LOOKING4ANCESTORS said...

Greetings Bill,
Although I have joined Genealogywise,and am also on Facebook and Twitter, I do agree with you about the challenge of keeping up with all these social media sites.

Greta Koehl said...

Another fuddyduddy here - it's all I can do to keep up with blogging, Facebook, and, oh yes, what's that thing I used to do - genealogy research. I may break down at some point and join Twitter and Genealogywise, but not until I master juggling these other three things.

Lori Thornton said...

I, like you, am very happy with Facebook. I really had no intentions of joining GenealogyWise, but the IT professor in me came out, and I decided to just see what it was like. I have to say that I'm less than enthralled with it so far. Most of the groups seem to be rehashes of message boards. I'll give it a bit of a chance, but I won't check it as often as Facebook. I like having all my "friends" in one place.

Greta Koehl said...

I lied ... I joined ... I am so weak.

Of course, whether I use it or not is a whole 'nother issue. If I have to choose, Facebook comes first - the whole purpose was to share genealogy research with family, and now I use it for many other things as well. But maybe I'll do more genea-socializing on GW and more family-socializing on FB.