Pages

Friday, December 06, 2019

52 ANCESTORS IN 52 WEEKS 2019 WEEK 47; WILLIAM LAKIN OF GROTON, MA.

I haven't found much about my Lakin family ancestors, mostly brief entries in books about the history of Groton, Ma., where they lived.There were no probate records for the two generations I descend from on the AmericanAncestors.org website, either. It's possible they are there under an alternate spelling of Lakin so I'll keep looking. Meanwhile, this was what I found on Google Books in a compilation of issues of The New England Historical and Genealogical Register. It's from an article by William Manning entitled "The Lakin Family of Groton":

1. William* Lakin, the first of his family in this country, probably came as early as I644, perhaps from Reading, England, that being the home of his son. In Massachusetts he first settled at Reading, but removed to Groton, with which town he was chiefly associated. Little has been learned of him, and the name of his wife and full family do not appear. He died in Groton 10 Dec. 1672, at the reputed age of ninety or ninety-one.
Child:
2. i. William."

-p.319

The New England Historical and Genealogical Register Vols. 37-52 (1883-98) Published by the Society Boston, Ma. 1909

William Lakin Sr. was my 11th great grandfather; his son William Jr. , my 10th. After William Jr.'s death in England, William Sr emigrated to Massachusetts with his daughter in law and two grandsons, William 3rd and John. I am descended from both and will discuss John next.

No comments: