Pages

Friday, July 13, 2018

AN APOLOGY PART 2

I've had some comments from fellow geneabloggers about my previous post and the situation with email notices from Gmail about readers' comments.

First, a confession: when it comes to technology and the internet I am a dummy. (same goes for understanding the DNA stuff). You would not believe how long it took me to learn how to cut & paste things back in my days on mIRC. So when I get a question from Tony Proctor, who I consider to be a genealogy technology guru, my reaction is to be speechless for several minutes and then panic. I am not sure I can come up with a coherent answer.

So let me quote the advice given me on FB by Carol A. Bowen Stevens::

I believe the fix is to go to the Dashboard in Blogger. Go to where your email addy is recorded, You know, it will say, send notifications to Mr. Bill. I Believe one is in Settings? Or Comments. Snoop around till you discover the area.

Remove the email addy information. Erase it. Save the change. Now go right back in and type your email address in again. Yea. SAVE the change again.

Check all the spots in the Dash that has your email. Do the erase and re-add motions in each.

Since I am writing this in the middle of the night, and NOT on the computer, if this does not make sense let me know.

Now here’s another little trick, after, check your email there will be a verification link thingy you have to click. 


Good luck.


Thanks Carol!


And here's a screenshot of  the emails screen on the Dashboard:





I hope this is helpful.

1 comment:

Tony Proctor said...

Thanks for the second post, Bill. Your settings are almost identical to mine -- I just thought that there might be some other setting that I hadn't seen. I've been moving between laptops and have had a number of problems with software not installing without error on the new one, and with email outages. I am not expecting any more comments on my blog, but I did wonder how anyone would tell if there were any new, unseen comments any of the existing posts. Google don't seem to maintain Blogger any more (other than having screwed up their HTML editor) but such an option would be useful (e.g. show all recent comments, on any post, in descending date order).

As for "guru", you must be thinking of someone else ;-) These days, I just seem to complain about awful Website interfaces. I know how these things work: Product Management want a given "feature"; Software Development knock it up with an interface designed purely to drive their bit of software -- coherence, ergonomics, consistency, and usefulness are afterthoughts at best.