Pages

Saturday, December 30, 2017

MY 2017 GENEAPLANS: HOW WELL DID I DO?

Before I make my "geneaplans" for 2018, let's see what they were for 2017 and how well I did fulfilling them. My comments on how I did on each are in red type:

 1. Remember to add more of my ancestors' siblings to the family tree. Most of the ones I need to work on are in the older colonial families in the 17th and 18th centuries.

Result: Moderate success. I need to do more, though.

2.  Make a better effort to get out to the towns where my ancestors lived  and take photos of their homes and headstones.This will have to wait until the snow and mud seasons are over.

Result: Abject failure. I visited none of them this year. I don't know why I didn't feel enthusiasm for this .

3. Continue reaching my goal of surpassing my previous year's total blogposts on West In New England, and post much more on The Old Colony Graveyard Rabbit(I won't set a goal for OCGR because when I've done it in previous years I usually fail miserably).

Result: Failed. I got distracted by the DNA test results, and earlier in the year I slacked off for several weeks. As a result I spent much of the year playing catch up. While I did end up with over 200 posts, I fell far short of last year's 240.  

4. Keep posting photos of headstones in Mt. Vernon Cemetery to Find A Grave and fill more photo requests. The latter is another activity for after the snow and mud seasons.

Result: Another failure. Another case of slacking off.

5. Stay organized:  Keep putting images  I download into  the folder they belong in immediately,

Result: Success. I've mangaed to keep this one at least.

6. Transcribe more of the documents I haven't done yet.

Result: Did some, but not enough.

7. Find and download the wills and probate files of female ancestors.

Result: Another abject failure. Didn't do a one of them.

8.  Research and write up the timeline for my ancestors who were involved in the Colonial New England Indian wars,

Result: Moderate success. Timeline is started but still adding more names.

9. Finish the series about the "Hot Mess" probate file of ancestor Nathaniel Stowe which I forgot about last May. (Probably because it's such a "hot mess").

Result: Abject failure #3. 

10. Get around  to writing  about my ancestor Gov. John Endecott. I keep pushing it aside, I think, because he did somethings that were nasty.

Result: Incomplete. I only wrote one post and there is so much more to do.

11. Keep whacking away at that John C Cutter brickwall.

Result: The biggest success of the year thanks to the DNA test that pushed my West line back to Francis West of Duxbury, Ma. , my immigrant West ancestor!

12. And finally, as always, keep having fun researching my family tree.

Result: I'm still having fun!



I need to do better next year!




1 comment:

Diane Gould Hall said...

While I didn’t write down my goals, I'm very glad to know I'm not alone on some of the failures. Thanks for sharing. Congrats on your successes, especially your DNA breakthrough. I have a major paternal brick wall and I'm hoping DNA will break it for me too.