Pages

Friday, September 30, 2016

HOW MANY SURNAMES ON MY DATABASE?

A few weeks back Randy Seaver's topic for one of his Saturday Night Genealogy Fun Challenges was
How Many Surnames  In Your Family Tree Base?

It's taken me a few weeks to get around to it but here's mine. I have 31,041 people on my RootsMagic
database at present. I ran the Surname Statistics List report and came up with 86 pages, with 39
surnames per page for a total of 3361 surnames.

Here's the top 15 surnames. You'll notice that three of them are some variation of Ellingwood, My great grandmother came from the branch that used Ellingwood, but the spelling in colonial times was either
Ellinwood or Ellenwood. Most of the Ellenwoods are from a branch that emigrated to Canada before the Revolution,

The list also reflects the fact that much of my research the past few years was based on two Ellingwood genealogy books and one one book on Barker genealogy. One of the benefits of the 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks challenge is that it is getting me to look further into other branches on my family tree.



No comments: