Pages

Monday, February 22, 2016

MORE ABOUT THE MOORES, PT3: THE WHITES

Another new branch on my grandmother Cora B. Barker's turned up quite a surprise.

Here's the relationship chart showing her descent from immigrant ancestor John White:


While preparing this post I referenced several White family genealogies, and was so preoccupied
with my male ancestors I nearly missed an important female relative. One of my 9x great grandfather
John White's children was his daughter Mary White who married Rev. Joseph Rowlandson. On
10Feb 1676 Indians attacked Lancaster, Ma. killing 13 people and taking over 20 others captive
among whom were Mary and three of her children captive for three months. Mary would later
write of her ordeal in  A Narrative of the Captivity and Restoration of Mrs. Mary Rowlandson. 

I've seen Mary Rowlandson mentioned many times in stories about the conflict between the Puritans
and Native Americans, never dreaming I was related to her!

I'll have one more post in about all this.

To be continued...

No comments: