Pages

Wednesday, January 06, 2016

52 ANCESTORS IN 52 WEEKS 2016 WEEK 1: DAVID BUTTERFIELD OF CHELMSFORD, MA.

I'm beginning my 2016 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Challenge series with my 6x great grandfather
David Butterfield of Chelmsford, Ma.  David is another of my ancestors that there wasn't too much
information about on the internet when I first searched, but a little digging revealed an interesting
story about the family. 

Here's what little George A Gordon has to say about David in the BUTTERFIELDS OF MIDDLESEX:

25. David4 Butterfield (Jonathan* Samuel* Benjamin') was born in Chelmsford in 1712. In 1724, he was adopted by his uncle Samuel (9) who was childless, and in 1742 inherited his whole estate. He married Kezia, who, with his adopted mother, Tabitha, were widows on the estate at his decease in 1764. Children:

i. Samuel,4 b. 1749-50.

ii Kezia. m. Benjamin Shed of Billerica, who died 19 Dec. 1760, and she m. 2d, in 1765, David Stlckney, and removed to Grafton, Vt.

iii. Jean.

iv. Esther.

v. Sarah, m. Jacob Manning of Billerica.

vi.______ , m. Dennis McLane.
p41

The New England Historical and Genealogical Register, Volume 44 , Published at the Society's House, 18 Somerset Street. Printed by David Clapp & Son Boston, Ma 1890


I know David's wife Kezia;s maiden name was Shettleworth/Shuttleworth, as shown in this
image of the Chelmsford marriage records. They are the third couple listed at the bottom of the
page under the name Butterfeild.


Looking at the list of children, I can fill in some of the missing information from David's Probate file. At the time of his death, daughters Jean and Esther signed a certain letter (which I will get to in my
next post) about the estate and either they were unmarried or married to cousins,  because both signed as Butterfields. Esther later married Lot Spaulding and is my 5x great grandmother.

It's the last daughter that interested me, the one whose first name is not given but who survived into adulthood long enough to marry a "Dennis McLane". Why is her fist name missing from the
list of David Butterfield?  And that's where that interesting family story comes into the picture.

I'll discuss it in the next post.

To be continued.

No comments: